Why Dengue Prevention Must Continue

The Department of Health (DOH) Tuesday asked the public not to be complacent on dengue despite the downward trend on cases these past weeks.

“Hindi natin masasabi, Pwedeng ma-reverse and trend anytime kaya hindi tayo dapat complacent. Kahit summer, we can experience dengue outbreaks,” said DOH program manager for Dengue Control and Prevention Program Dr. Lyndon Lee Suy.

Lee Suy said there should be no let up in campaigns to eliminate the possible breeding sites of mosquitoes.

“Huwag nating babalewalain ang mga vacant lots sa community natin. They can be source of dengue outbreaks. It is important that when we clean our yards, we include the vacant lots in the neighborhood,” he said.

The DOH’s Dengue Surveillance Report showed that from Jan. 1 to Aug. 25, there was a total 87,649 dengue cases nationwide.

The figure is 12.06 percent higher than the 78,218 cases during the same period last year. For the entire 2011, a total of 118,868 cases were registered.

Majority of the cases came from Metro Manila with 20.1 percent, followed by Central Luzon with 15.42 percent and Calabarzon with 14.69 percent.

Of the dengue cases in Metro Manila, 5,545 came from Quezon City; 2,790 from Manila; 1,987 from Caloocan City; Paranaque with 1,114; Pasig City with 1,041 and Valenzuela City with 1,018.

Record showed that ages of cases ranged from less than one month to 94 years old with 50 percent belonging to one to 10 years age group. Majority of cases were males (52.7 percent). There were 522 deaths reported.

Leave a Reply