Malacañang assured the public Wednesday that there will be no special treatment for the suspect in last month’s bar exam blast along Taft Avenue, Manila.
Presidential Spokesperson Atty. Edwin Lacierda issued the assurance in response to speculations that suspected grenade thrower Anthony Leal Nepomuceno might get special treatment after surrendering to Vice President Jejomar Binay.
Both Binay and Nepomuceno are members of Alpha Phi Omega (APO).
“Definitely, there will be no special treatment. Again, the only request of the suspect was that his rights be respected,” Lacierda said during press briefing this afternoon.
The same stand was also echoed by Justice Secretary Leila De Lima during a press conference where the suspect was presented.
“Wala kaming sasantohin. Managot ang dapat managot (we would spare nobody). It doesn’t matter to us kung sino ang members ng frat na yan,” De Lima said noting that Nepomuceno could face charges of frustrated murder or multiple physical injuries.
Nepomuceno, a call center agent and member of APO fraternity, was turned over by the fraternity’s councils of elders after surrendering to Binay, 30 days after the 2010 bar examinations blast.
Lacierda said they welcome the surrender of the suspect particularly the successful intervention of the Vice President.
He said the surrender will serve as signal for the Justice Department to start the prosecution and give justice to the victims. (PNA)