Rescuers were unable to find any more survivors from the South Korean trawler that sank off Antarctica, Maritime New Zealand said on Tuesday.
The missing 17 crew of the No. 1 InSung are now presumed dead. The South
Korean trawler was reported to sink at 6:30 a.m. New Zealand local time on Monday in calm conditions about 2,700 km southeast of South Island’s southern town of Bluff and inside New Zealand’s search and rescue region.
The ship had crew from South Korea, China, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines and Russia.
Three South Korean trawlers searched overnight for 17 missing men, to no avail. Five bodies had already been recovered and 20 people rescued.
Ramon Davis from the Rescue Co-ordination Center in Wellington told Radio New Zealand on Tuesday that there is very little chance the 17 men would have survived in icy waters.
He said the center was not informed about the sinking for six hours, and it seems no mayday call was made.