Sendong Typhoon – Hundreds Dead in Mindanao, Philippines
By Joel C. Atencio
At least 200 persons were confirmed dead and hundreds others remained missing when tropical storm ‘Sendong’ (intermational code: Washi) dumped heavy rains that caused massive flooding in some parts of Mindanao on Saturday, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC).
NDRRMC executive director Benito Ramos said they are still getting reports from the field and that the number of casualties would likely rise.
“Massive flooding had been reported over the region, especially in Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro city,” Ramos said, adding that tens of thousands of people sought shelter on high ground.
Col. Eugene Osias, spokesman of the 4th Infantry Battalion (4th IB), said that 117 people were retrieved dead from flashfloods in Cagayan de Oro City.
In Iligan City, Mayor Lawrence Cruz, said that as of 4:30 p.m., 79 dead people were recovered after more than 12 hours of continuous rain triggered the swelling of a river and sent muddy floodwaters cascading down from nearby mountains.
Meanwhile, three people were reported dead in Dipolog City and Dapitan City
Incoming search terms:
- news article about typhoon sendong
- sendong typhon in phillipines
- SENDONG THYPOON NEWS
- list of dead for Typhoon Sendong
- article about thypoon sendong
- thypoon in mindanao
- typhon sendong iligan city
- typhoon sendong philippines ndrrmc signal number region 12 mindanao
- typhoon sendong Philippines news
- sendong in philippines
- recent typhon on Zamboanga del norte province news
- newsarticle about typhoon sendong
- News-sendong typhoon
- news article for typhoon sendong
- new articles about typhoon Sendong
- mindanao philippines typhoon
- mayor lawrence cruz annulment
- dead list of thypoon sendong
- www sendongtyphoon