Philippines News – Tsunami Tidal Wave Coming to Philippines
By Kristine L. Alave
Philippine Daily Inquirer
Four tsunamis spawned by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake that hit Japan on Friday have entered the country, with two more approaching based on data from tidal gauges in the Pacific as of 10 p.m. Friday night, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).
Four tidal waves have been recorded in the eastern seaboard, based on data from stations maintained by the National Mapping Resource Information Authority in San Vicente, Cagayan province, Virac in Catanduanes and Baler in Aurora, said Phivolcs head Renato Solidum Jr.
Since tidal waves were still occurring in Japan, Solidum said they expect more tsunamis to hit the Philippines.
The good news was that the tidal waves recorded in Okinawa did not appear to grow stronger or higher, he said.
The first wave, at 60 centimeters, hit San Vicente, Cagayan Station at 6 p.m. The wave measured 40 cm as it traveled down the country, arriving in Virac at 6:30 p.m. It had the same height when it reached Baler at 6:30 p.m.
The second wave, again at 60 cm, arrived 20 minutes later in San Vicente. By the time it reached Baler at 7:10 p.m, it had gone down to 40 cm.
The third wave, at 40 cm, hit San Vicente at 6:50 p.m, growing to 70 cm as it crossed to Catanduanes. Upon reaching Baler at 8 p.m., it was back to 30 cm.
The fourth wave’s maximum height was 40 cm when it hit the San Vicente station at 7:30 p.m. Phivolcs said it was awaiting data on this wave’s movement.
Coastal villages became ghost towns in a matter of hours on Friday after Phivolcs placed the entire eastern seaboard from Batanes to Davao provinces on tsunami Alert Level 2 in anticipation of big waves generated by the Japan quake.
Solidum placed 19 provinces facing the Pacific Ocean on Alert Level 2 at around 3:30 p.m. on Friday, meaning residents should be on alert for unusual waves.
The agency initially placed the eastern seaboard on Alert Level 1 at 2:08 p.m., 22 minutes after the massive quake hit the coast of Honshu in Japan.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) in Hawaii, which has placed 20 countries on tsunami warning, classified the tsunami from Japan as “potentially destructive.”
The provinces covered by the tsunami alert are: the Batanes group, Cagayan, northernmost Ilocos Norte, Isabela, Quezon, Aurora, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Albay, Catanduanes, Sorsogon, Northern Samar, Eastern Samar, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, Davao Oriental and Davao del Sur.
Incoming search terms:
- tidal wave in the philippines
- philippines tidal wave
- tidal wave philippines
- news about tsunami in ilocos
- tsunami coming in the philippines
- Powered by Article Dashboard list of unique sports in luzon
- tidal wave in philippines
- tide wave phillipines
- Philippine Tidal Wave
- philipine tidal wave
- news about tsunami in the philippines
- tidal wave in philippines 2012
- phillippines news tuinami
- davao tsunami
- coming tsunami in the philippines
- chunami in cebu
- philippines news tsunami
- tidal wave in camiguin
- Tidal wave in baler quezon
- tidal wave philippines 2012
- titlewave in the philippines
- tidal wave philippines 2013
- tidal wave philippines 2013 december
- tidal wave philippines today
- tidal wave in aurora
- tidal wave samar 2013
- tidal wave news in iloilo
- tidal wave in davao
- Tidal Wave in Phillipines
- tidal wave in samar
- tidal wave in southern leyte 1981
- tidal wave in philipines news
- tidal wave in leyte philippines
- tidal wave in the philippines december 2012
- tidal wave in leyte 1899
- tidal wave in leyte
- Tidal wave in davao city
- tidal wave in surigao
- tidal wave warning cebu city
- youtube tidal wave in the philippines
- tsunami manila/2013
- tsunami memorial baler quezon philippines
- tsunami philippines sept 2012
- tsunamis philippines baler
- update on the tidle waves in the philippines
- what caused the tidal wave in the philippines
- what should you do if a tidal wave was coming
- what tide wave hit the phillippines
- when is the tsunami coming to the Philippines
- when was the tidal wave in phillipines