The conduct of the synchronized Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataaan (SK) elections in Central Luzon will proceed as scheduled on October 25.
Lawyer Emmanuel Ignacio, Commission on Elections (Comelec) assistant director in Central Luzon, said the Barangay and SK polls in the seven provinces in the region will push through as the areas which will be used for the Monday’s elections were not hit by the onslaught of the recent super typhoon Juan.
“We already coordinated with our election officers in the region and so far, there are no reports that our polling places were affected by the typhoon. And because of this, our elections will go on as scheduled on Oct. 25,” Ignacio said.
He also said there are no reports that polling places in the region have been used as evacuation centers by the local residents affected by floods brought by typhoon Juan.
However, in case there are schools being used as evacuation centers, he said “we can do makeshifts as polling centers in order for us to push through with the conduct of the barangay and SK elections.”
He said the postponement or the declaration of the failure of election is possible as stated in the Section 45 of the Omnibus Election Code.
“And this happened in 2002 wherein some polling places during that time were affected by floods,” he said.
So far, the Comelec postponed the elections in the isolated coastal towns of Maconacon, Divilican and Palanan in Isabela province following the onslaught of typhoon Juan.
The postponement of election was based on reports of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) that the three municipalities were badly hit by Juan that destroyed almost all the infrastructure, including school buildings. (PNA)