Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Ramon Paje on Thursday renewed his call on local executives of La Nina-affected areas to take heed of the warnings on geological hazards issued by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB).
“With incessant rains being experienced in the Visayas and Mindanao in the past weeks, we expect the soil to have been fully saturated,” the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) chief said.
“With forecast from the weather bureau of more rains coming in until February, it is a matter of time that more landslides and flashfloods would be expected in disaster-prone areas such as in Southern Leyte,” he added.
Paje said the MGB, which is under the DENR, has already completed the geohazard mapping and assessment of the whole country last year. It has likewise finished distributing geohazard maps to local government units.
However, following the national elections last year, Paje directed the MGB to again distribute geohazards maps to LGUs to enable, particularly the newly elected ones, to integrate mitigating measures, including possible relocation or evacuation sites, into their local disaster management plans.