The Bahraini government on Saturday announced for the first time since last year a timeframe for the much awaited national dialogue between the government, and political and civil society organizations.
“Everything banks on the extent of readiness of the parties involved,” Samira Rajab, a spokesperson of the government said in a statement, adding that the second round of talks will be held “either by end of this month or early February at the most.”
She pointed out that there will be “no preset conditions” by any side and only consensual visions will be taken into consideration and processed through constitutional institutions.
Rajab, who is also the State Minister for Information Affairs, said that the government’s keenness to ensure the success of the dialogue will put an end to the “unusual situation” in Bahrain.
The spokesperson also hinted that the process will be “purely internal” without any foreign intervention of influence.
The announcement was welcomed by Britain, the United States, Germany and several other states that viewed it as a step forward.
Last week, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said that the initiative is an “important first step toward reforms that ensure justice and human rights for all Bahrainis.”
Political societies in Bahrain, including the largest opposition group Al Wefaq National Islamic Society, have all welcomed the second round of talks.