Myanmar Airways (MA) has replaced Fokker-27

Myanmar’s state-owned domestic airline — Myanmar Airways (MA) has replaced Fokker-27, one of its old-aged aircrafts, with airbus MA-60 starting this month as part of its program of upgrading its flight services, local media reported Monday.

The MA-60 aircraft was bought from China, said the Weekly Eleven News, adding that the move was made under an arrangement of renewing its aircrafts to ensure safe flight.

Since 1948, the airline had used such aircrafts for domestic flight services as Gyophyu, Vicount, Otta, F-27, F-28, ATR-42 and ATR-72.

According to other reports which quoted the aviation authority, the MA will buy three more MA-60 airbuses from China.

Myanmar also has an international airline run by the private sector, namely Myanmar Airways International (MAI).

MAI was once a joint venture set up by the state-run Myanmar Airways and a Singapore-based company in 1993 for sole international service flights covering three scheduled flight destinations — Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

In 2007, the Region Air of Hong Kong took over the stake from Singapore with 49 percent held by it, while the remainder 51 percent possessed by the state-run Myanmar Airways.

Leave a Reply