The Police Regional Office (PRO) in Central Luzon on Monday considered as generally peaceful the first day of filing of certificates of candidacy (COCs) in seven provinces in the region.
Police Chief Supt. Edgardo Ladao, PNP-PRO-3 regional director, said there is no untoward incidents reported in the region as far as the filing of COCs by local candidates is concerned.
Except for the usual pomp and pageantry that comes with the filing of COCs, there are no accidents nor harassment reported by our men in the field so far, Ladao said.
He said the PRO-3 has deployed more personnel within the vicinity of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) offices all over the region to ensure that the five-day registration of candidates is peaceful.
“We are stepping up our efforts to ensure peace and order in the region especially with the forthcoming midterm elections on May next year,” he said.
He said their campaign against loose firearms and wanted persons have been intensified to thwart any election-related violence.
The PNP official said they are also closely monitoring the areas in Central Luzon where there was high poll-related incidents in the past.
“During the 2010 elections, we have recorded 17 election-related violence that included shootings and harassment in the whole region that’s why we are strengthening our efforts to ensure an orderly and peaceful elections next year,” he said.
He said more checkpoints and chokepoints in strategic areas in the region were also set up as a measure to preempt any election-related incidents.