Despite the declaration of the Jordan Foreign Ministry that Al Arabiya Southeast Asia bureau chief Baker Abdulla Atyani and his two Filipino crewmen were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), Naval Forces in Western Mindanao (NFWM) Deputy Commander for Marines Operations Col.Jose Johriel Cenabre maintains that the three are just missing.
“Our police and local government counterparts in Sulu maintain that Atyani and his crew are only missing. That’s the information we had on the ground,” he said.
Cenabre also pointed out that the Jordanian declaration is an independent one and did not come from the police, local government or the military sources.
“Our information is that they are moving from one place to another. We don’t know whether these are ASG or other groups,” he added.
But despite this, Cenabre said that they are doing everything they can to ensure the safety of the three, adding that the safe recovery of Atyani and his two Filipino assistants are of paramount importance.
Atyani and his two Filipino crewmen, Ramelito Vela, 39 and Rolando Letrero, 22, have been declared officially missing as of June 12 this year after failing to return to their room at the Sulu State College Hostel where they checked in 11:00 p.m. on June 11.
At 5:45 a.m. on June 12, the three men were reportedly fetched by a man driving a multi-cab and have not returned since then.