A 15-vehicle convoy with 67 health personnel, including 16 doctors and six dentists, traveled Thursday here towards the flood-stricken cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan to help thousands of victims still reeling from the devastation brought by Typhoon Sendong last month.
The storm left at least 1,200 people dead and nearly 500,000 displaced and living in overcrowded evacuation centers.
“We have resorted to such initiative as both cities also helped Maguindanao when it was also hit by floods early last year,” Dr. Tahir Sulaik, Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) chief, said.
Sulaik said they would extend medical, dental and pediatric assistance to the victims, targeting some 20,000 patients for their mission.
“Upon arrival in the area, we would coordinate with the mayors of both cities for our possible deployment,” he said.
Sulaik said they also brought with them leptospirosis vaccines following the outbreak of the disease in the flood-stricken cities that has so far claimed the lives of five persons.