The Department of Health (DOH) said Friday the firecracker and stray bullet victims in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) rose five days after the New Year revelries, to the dismay of health workers.
Dr. Myrna Cabotaje, DOH-CAR regional director said there is now a total of 52 firecracker and pyrotechnics victims and three victims of stray bullets.
“Abra Province has the most number of firecracker and pyrotechnics injuries with a total of 23 and two victims of astray bullets mostly in the capital town of Bangued,” she said.
Other areas where firecracker and fireworks injuries happened were: Baguio City, 13; Kalinga, five; Mountain Province, four; Benguet, three; Apayao, two and Ifugao, two.
“I hope that the statistics of injuries as of today would be the last. But we will have until January 8 to monitor and count just like last year,” Cabotaje said.
She said the DOH “Goodbye Paputok” with the help of the media, barangay and other local leaders and local health workers not only assisted the victims but was also instrumental to CAR achieving a reduction of some 36 percent in the number of victims.