Antique News – Evacuation Center in Antique Towns

Antique Governor Exequiel Javier is planning to put up evacuation centers in each of the 18 municipalities in the province, conduct massive disaster preparedness trainings and procure rescue equipment like rubber boats and communication equipment to mitigate the effects of calamities in Antique.

Javier announced this during the recent meeting of the Provincial Disaster Management Council held at the Sumakwel Hall, New Capitol Bldg here.

The evacuation centers will be multi-purpose buildings specially designed to accommodate as many families as possible.

The communication equipment to be purchased will be distributed to various government agencies like the Philippine National Police (PNP), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), Philippine Red Cross (PRC), the Provincial Health Office, and Department of Education (DepEd).

For Fiscal Year 2011, the provincial government has a total of P32 million in calamity funds of which amount, 30 percent or P9.6 million can be spent on disaster preparedness activities, programs and projects, and the remaining 70 percent or P22.4 million for actual relief assistance as per guidelines.

Gov. Javier said that the provincial government has available funds of P8 million for the first quarter of the year for disaster risk reduction management program. (PNA)

Leave a Reply